Sunday, February 27, 2011

Feeling full

It is currently Sunday 145pm in Masindi, Uganda. I sit at Mandie and Rachel's house in the bishops back yard. It is hot here. The rainy season is late this year so it is dry heat. Sweat is a new constant. The colors are reds on the road, piercing blue sky, and rich green everywhere. I want to paint this place when I get back to Charleston...

After leaving Charleston early Friday, I made it to Entebbe Airport at 1100am Saturday morning. It was, as I expected, a long flight over. We were met by Michael Oneil, and he took us to meet his wife Amanda at the US Ambassador's home in Kampala. It was beautiful! He and his wife Catherine were lovely and inviting. Right away, it felt like home. We then traveled about 3 hours out to Masindi through small mountain ranges. It is a sight to see. The sun set through two mountains, and the haze the the air seemed to magnify the light of dusk. It is my favorite time of day. We made it to Michael and Amanda's home around 500p, and Amanda whipped up awesome pita dinner, with rice and cabbage. Her house is filled with faces from Charleston, paired with the Oneils love again made this feel like home. Then around 1000p, we drove up the road (200 yards max) and I settled my trunks and luggage into Mandie and Rachel's house, took a shower, and turned in. At this point exhaustion won, and I was fast asleep within seconds. Literally. I vaguely remember waking up to a Muslin call to prayer in the middle of the night. An man on an intercom, spoke for several minutes about call to prayer for the local Muslim church here. My next wake up call was the twins cooing at about 730 today. Mandie and I left the house at 930p and we jumped on a boda to go to Family Spirit Care Center run by Isaac and Susan. It is the local orphanage, where Thomas and 100 other are living. Susan walked me throughout the entire orphanage, and Isaac excitedly showed me the foundation for the girls ward. We then visited Kamurasi village to see Nancy who Mandie and Rachel fed daily. They say if they don't go then she does not eat. I wonder as we hop back on the boda, how many children not eating because there is no food. Like I was saying, it is dry season. Many people talk about this, just as the Charlestonians discuss the flippent weather. Food prices have doubled, and there is a possible food shortage in the near future. There is so much that needs to be done, in this country. But I have hope, as ironically my own stomach rumbles with hunger.

We are going tonight to a going away party for a Peace Corps volunteer, Kate. It should be a great time to meet other Americans here in the area and spend some more time with my friends here. I am excited to spend time with the people here as well. So far, I am balancing between feeling of excitement and exhaustion. It going to be a wild ride. I can't wait!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Brittaine for the update. I pray today the Lord fills you with His love, energy, strength, wisdom, and eyes that see the whole picture and God-sized perspective. I can't wait to join you in Uganda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved hearing every detail Britt! Praying that you're getting some rest and have an incredible first day at the clinic! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love u and praying for u love reading your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Britt - am thinking of you and praying for you often. SO glad we got to connect before you left for Africa . . . and happy to hear you made it there safely. I have enjoyed reading your blogs - your one about the child with leukemia left me in tears. We often forget that even the mundane in our life is a gift from God - it's so easy to take the basic things for granted; we truly have SO much to be thankful for. I also LOVE the words to that song "the voice of truth." So powerful. Britt, you have a gift with words - an ability to poetically express your heart. No doubt God has big plans for you girl, and I believe Africa is a big part of that growth/calling. I look forward to keeping up with your journey in Africa via the blogs. You are SO loved by Him . . . and many others. Blessings my friend,
    Carey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Britt, I am inspired by your courage, hard work and devotion to those that are in need. The world is a much better place because of the efforts of you and your fellow colleague's. God bless you all, thank you for all you are doing. I am looking forward to following your blog throughout your trip to Uganda! Love, Kellye from Omaha

    ReplyDelete