Wednesday, March 30, 2011

All we have are moments...


Sitting with Thomas and others at lunch, Family Spirit Orphanage, Masindi, Uganda. Picture by Melanie Nashan, www.nashan.com

On Day 2 of my trip, Mandie and I set out at about 1030am to go run some weekly errands. We jumped on a boda with a man, whose name I cannot recall and was unknown to Mandie, and headed out. I was in a jet-lagged fog at this point. I thought how I should not have gone. I was tired. I was hungry. It was hot. The next then I knew we were at Family Spirit Orphanage. I had visited the orphanage in August with a PMI team, but this day I was able to be there. Just me, stripped of my personal walls. I toured the orphanage, played with kids, and spoke with Isaac and Sarah. On the ride there, Mandie explained that we were going to visit Thomas. I was excited to meet him. My heart was instantly connected to his when I read Mandie's story of Thomas a month before. I had a sense that he was a fighter from her words. I could sense his spirit. The moment I saw him, he cut his eyes at me, within seconds before formally greeting me (It is common for children to greet you in Uganda. It is respectful gesture that every Ugandan teaches their children). With a resistant, yet equally loving, greeting, Thomas shook my hand. It was in this moment that I fell in love with him. We then gathered in the front of Family Spirit and the kids sang and danced for us. Thomas fell fast asleep in my arms as he listened to the familiar performance. I was sweating. And crying. And silently pleading for Thomoas. I could feel his lungs rattle as he slept on my chest. Then, a breeze came. Thomas and I both breathed in deeply. I smiled. He smiled in his sleep. It is a moment I hope I never forget.

I cried for the kids that day. The beautiful toddlers with their contagious laughter and smiles. The stubborn teenagers with mighty spirits.

I cried for myself that day. That I had not wanted to go, but God had other plans. That He has better plans than I have for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment